Growing up, I loved to read. I was constantly in the school library and even helped out during study period. Being grounded as a teen didn’t really bother me for I still had my books and music. No loss to me.
Now having kids of my own, I love how much they too love books. I read to both of them as babies and they just enjoy stories. DIVA has always read way above her reading level and is a lot like me in the fact she is perfectly content with a good book. While Lil Man does not read yet, he loves to sit with books and look through them.
My husband and I feel books are so important, we have never said no to books. In fact, I still remember in First Grade, I was helping at my daughter’s school’s book fair. Later that night we had plans for Disney On Ice. But while her turn to get books she picked out a stack and was over $50 in price. I gave her the choice of the books or the show. She picked the books!
To me, books seem to be an easy item to own. An item that it would seem we in our house have taken for granted. Did you know that half of the students in public schools live in low-income households? Two-thirds of those children do not have access to books. We can change this.
Disney, as you know, is very dear to me. Recently they teamed up with First Book to bring not only awareness but change. First Book is a non-profit enterprise that strives to bring new books and other learning materials to low-income schools and families. Disney started the “Magic of Storytelling” campaign five years ago to assist in this cause.
This is the 5th year for the Magic Of Storytelling campaign. Families are encouraged to read together and donate new books to kids in need. You may have seen the commercial esp if you watch Disney Channel as we have.
Video with Steven Spielberg
Video with Emma Watson (Bell, in NEW Beauty & the Beast)
Disney has pledged to donate One Millian books this year to First Book through March 31st. Here is how you can take part and even win so prizes too.
- One for One Book Donation: Disney will donate one book to First Book for every eligible Disney book purchased at a Disney Store or participating retailer during that store’s participation window. (A list of eligible Disney books and participating retailers are available at magicofstorytelling.com.)
- Share a Shelfie: Disney will also give one book for every “shelfie” — a selfie photo with a favorite book or in front of a bookshelf — shared on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #MagicOfStorytelling.
- Disney Story Central: Users of Disney’s digital reading platform can download digital books designed for parents and children to read together. Disney will donate one book to First Book for every book read in the app.
- Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes: Consumers can enter to win a library of 400 Disney books for their school and a personal library for their home in the Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes. For every sweepstakes entry, Disney will donate one book to First Book. To enter the sweepstakes and for more rules and information, visit magicofstorytelling.com.
- In-Store Events: Celebrate Disney Reads Day on February 4 at Disney Store, Barnes & Noble, and participating retailer locations nationwide. Families and fans can enjoy free family-friendly events like story time, coloring/activity sheets, and themed “shelfie” stations. A full list of participating Disney Store and retailer locations is available at magicofstorytelling.com.
© The Autism Diva. I’d love to keep connected with you!