The Muse is Knoxville’s only children’s science museum! With a focus on STEM, the arts, wellness, and emergent literacy, The Muse Knoxville provides learning experiences with excellence through the power of play. The Muse Knoxville is a hands-on museum with almost 4,000 square feet of exhibit and play space, everyone is sure to find something that will inspire the love of learning.
Over the summer break, the kids and I visited Knoxville for a week and this is a must-see attraction for all families. Knoxville is about 4 hours from Atlanta, so it made for an easy getaway vacation. I was provided complimentary tickets for my review, but as always, all opinions are my own.
About The Muse
The Muse Knoxville is a children’s museum dedicated to inspiring and empowering all children through transformative learning experiences! With almost 4,000 square feet of exhibit and play space, you are sure to find something that will inspire a love of learning! One cool thing at Muse is the planetarium, which has a variety of shows playing throughout the day on their dome projection system. The Muse does cater more toward the younger crowd but even my daughter had a good time as there are many activities.
The Muse is easy to navigate as it’s a mostly a large open area with several stations. Here are a few of their exhibits:
- A-Mazing Airways – learn about airflow and circulatory through larger than life air tubes, high-performance air systems, interactive diverter boxes, and soaring manipulatives of all shapes and sizes.
- Science Garden – a live garden that uses pallets and raised beds to grow organic crops. Explore whisper dishes, levers, and pulleys, music wall and bubbles.
- Make Space – kids and parents are encouraged to create together with an open assortment of materials and tools to tinker and try.
- Sound Play – discover the science of sound and hearing through musical play.
- Live Smart! Stay Well! – helps children to learn about food and health. Also has an area for crawlers with tummy-time activities.
- U.S.S. Muse – discover the inner workings of shuttles with interactive displays, hands-on buttons, levels, and screens.
- Planetarium – Knoxville’s only public access Planetarium for visitors aged 4 and up. Shows run every hour and are 20 – 40 minutes long. Each film an age recommendation for viewing.
What We Thought
As I mentioned The Muse seems to be more for those younger than 12. DIVA did enjoy the Make Space where she was able to put her love for fashion to work.
Being a hands-on museum made this perfect for Lil Man. He loved the pod hammock as it was both compressing and helped to block out those around him.
Another favorite was the air-tubes. After taking a scarf, you placed it into the tube and watched it then come flying out of the top pipe. He probably could have done this the entire visit.
Both of the kids loved the playground outside. While it is part of The Muse, you could visit the park and have access to it.
Located in Historic Chilhowee Park
516 North Beaman Street
Knoxville, TN 37914
Follow The Muse on social media
Pin for later: