Lemon Meringue pie is the perfect summer dessert as it’s light and refreshing. Bursting with fresh citrus flavor and a sweet, creamy meringue topping. This easy recipe uses a store-bought crust but you could always make your own.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix well.
- On low heat, stir in the coconut milk.
- Increase the heat to medium and continue to stir until the mixture begins to boil. Then turn back down to a simmer. Stir for one minute and then shut off the burner.
- In two bowls, separate the egg yolks and egg whites.
- Beat the yolks with a small whisk, and add ¼ cup of the hot sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually stir the yolks into the remaining hot sugar mixture, then turn the burner back on and simmer for one-minute stirring constantly.
- Turn off the burner again and then stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Let mixture cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust. (follow instructions on box)
- In a glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed for about a minute, until foamy. Then turn to high speed and gradually add in sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Smooth the meringue over the pie and spread to the edge of the crust.
- Bake at 350° F for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is light and golden brown.
- Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate for 3 hours for the filling to set completely.
Pin for later: