UPDATE 3/12/2020 CONTEST IS CANCELED DUE TO COVID-19
Kick up your heels! New England Irish Dance groups are invited to compete for a chance to perform on stage at the Boch Center Wang Theatre prior to the performance of the international Irish dance phenomenon, Riverdance.
Irish Dance groups can now submit videos (up to 3 minutes in length) showing their best footwork. To enter, fill out the entry form HERE and upload your dance video. Be sure to share it to your Facebook page! Tag the Boch Center’s page and use #RiverdanceBoston! The deadline to enter is Monday, March 16.
About The Contest
Ten finalist dance groups will be chosen to compete in a live Dance Audition event before a panel of judges on Monday afternoon, March 23 at the Cambridgeside Galleria. Judges will include Melissa from Hot 96.9 and 2 Riverdance lead dancers Maggie Darlington and Jason O’Neil. Three winning dance companies will be chosen to perform LIVE onstage (in front of house curtain, max 3 min in length) at the Wang Theatre on Wednesday, April 1, prior to the performance of the Riverdance. The winning dance companies will also receive complimentary tickets (one for each dancer, max. of 20 per company) and a very special Friends & Family discount ticket offer for the April 1 show.
The international Irish dance phenomenon is back by popular demand in a brand new 25th Anniversary production, March 31 – April 5, at the Wang Theatre. Tickets are now on sale at the Boch Center box office, through www.bochcenter.org or by calling 800-982-ARTS (2787).
RIVERDANCE DANCE CONTEST RULES
1. No entry fee is required. Group size should not exceed 20 people. Groups should perform in costume and are not allowed to use props. Each contesting group needs to bring their performance music and performance should not exceed 3 minutes. Music should be loaded onto a smartphone which will be played via a smart speaker. No live music will be allowed. Each group is allowed to bring 2-4 chaperones. Each will group will have their own allotted space inside the Cambridgeside Galleria food court area. It will not be monitored.
2. Contest entry and video link must be submitted by 11:59 PM, Monday, March 16, 2020. The entry will include group name, contact name and cell phone number, video link and a short description.
3. Entries will be evaluated on timing, appearance, execution, and carriage. Ten (10) finalists will be chosen to compete and notified on Monday, March 23, 2020. Finals will take place on Monday, March 23, 2020, at the Wang Theatre. The finalists will be judged on timing, appearance, execution, and carriage. Three groups will win the competition.
4. Prizes: The three winning groups will have the opportunity to perform on stage (in front of the curtain) prior to April 1, 2020, 7:30p performance of Riverdance at the Wang Theatre. Each winning group will also receive 20 complimentary tickets to see the show. The total value of the 20 tickets is $1780.
5. When entering the Riverdance Dance Contest, each entrant agrees (a) that the Boch Center has the right to use their names, likenesses, and images for future advertising, promotion and publicity in any manner and in any medium now known or hereafter devised in perpetuity; and (b) to release and hold The Wang Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. and their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”), harmless against any and all claims and liability arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, out of participation in the Contest, or misuse, nonuse or use of any prize; and (c) to waive all rights to claim direct, indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, attorneys’ fees. By accepting a prize described in these rules, the winner agrees to the use of his/her name in any winner’s list and agrees to be photographed, filmed, or otherwise recorded by The Wang Center for the Performing Arts, Inc.
6. These Rules shall be governed by, construed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without regard to any choice of law principles. Each contestant hereby agrees and irrevocably consents to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for any and all claims arising from or related to this contest. Each entrant agrees that all claims relating to this contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Each entrant further agrees that any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred in entering and participating in the contest, but in no event shall include travel costs or attorney’s fees.
7. By participating in this contest, contestants agree to be bound by all rules.